Dominique A. Pollara, Esq.
Dominique was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota and raised in Upstate New York. She has practiced law since 1984 and is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and the International Society of Barristers. She is board-certified in Medical Malpractice by the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys and has tried more than 38 cases to verdict in California, Nevada and New York.
Dominique’s practice is dedicated to defending health care professionals, groups and facilities in medical malpractice litigation as well as before various licensing boards. When not working, you can find Dominique cycling in the foothills around Sacramento, skiing at Squaw Valley, playing with her dogs or donating her time to Homeward Bound, a golden retriever rescue organization.
- Pollara Law Group, Sacramento, CA, December 2014 to present
- Schuering Zimmerman & Doyle, LLP, Sacramento, CA, 1994 to December, 2014, Partner
- Thuillez, Ford, Gold & Conolly, Albany, NY, 1989 to 1994, Partner
- McGlynn, McLong & McDowell, San Francisco, CA, 1988 to 1989, Law Clerk
- Gold & Symansky, Albany, NY, 1986 to 1988, Associate
- Buchyn, O’Hare & Werner, Schenectady, NY, 1984 to 1986, Associate
- J.D. Cum Laude, Vermont School of Law, 1984
- B.S. Cum Laude (Animal Science), University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1981
- New York, 1985
- Massachusetts (retired), 1985
- California, 1989
- Nevada, 1995
- Colorado, 1999
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts (retired), 1990
- United States Court of Appeals, New York, 1993
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California, 1995
- United States District Court, Northern District of California, 1995
- United States District Court, District of Nevada, 1995
- United States Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2012
Honors and Memberships
- California Academy of Attorneys for Health Care Professionals, 2013
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow 2013
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys,
- Board Certified in Medical Malpractice, 2012
- Member, Board of Governors, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell rating: AV
- The Best Lawyers in America: 2010
- Northern California Super Lawyers: 2008 - Present
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Nevada
- State Bar of New York
- State Bar of Colorado
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
- American Bar Association
- Sacramento County Bar Association
- Birth Plans: Finding Common Ground through Improved Communication
Optimal Review, Winter 2011, Volume 8, Issue 3
- Reducing Morbidity & Mortality Associated With Maternal Hemorrhage
Optima Healthcare, Optimal Review, Summer 2009
- Preventing Birth Injuries
Jacobs, M., Pollara, D.A., Schuering, Jr., L.H.
Norcal Mutual Insurance Company Continuing MedicalEducation 2004
- Shoulder Dystocia: Preparation is Strong Medicine for this Obstetric Emergency
Norcal Mutual Insurance Company, Special Edition May 2004
Content Advisor: Dominique Pollara, Esq.
- Representation in New York: Weighing Counsel Effectiveness
The Defender, July/August 1983
- Defense on Trial
The Defender, September/October 1982
- Speaker for a presentation entitled “Licensing Boards for Medical Professionals” at the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys Annual Meeting on May 20, 2016.
- Participant in a panel presentation entitled “Growing Your Practice” at the Sacramento County Bar Association on April 19, 2016.
- Presenter on hot topic issues in obstetrics including hypertensive emergencies, postpartum hemorrhage and shoulder dystocia. The two presentations were entitled “Labor and Delivery in Litigation” and “11 on the 10 Pain Scale.” Fresno, February 15 and 16, 2016.
- Speaker at a conference on the care of transgender patients. The presentation was entitled “Legal Issues in the Care Of Transgender Patients.” Modesto, January 23, 2016.
- Participant in a panel presentation entitled “Electronic Medical Records – The New Healthcare Landscape” at the Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting in San Francisco, on December 10, 2015.
- Speaker for a presentation entitled “Ounce of Prevention: Hospitalist Risk Reduction & Quality Improvement Strategies,” given to the East Bay Physician Medical Group. Berkeley, CA, on June 18, 2014.
- Speaker for a presentation entitled “Pain Management and Opioid Prescribing: Managing the Risks,” given to Sutter Gould Medical Group. Modesto, CA, on June 16, 2014.
- Speaker for a presentation entitled “Informed Consent and Informed Refusal” in conjunction with Norcal Mutual Insurance, given to Sutter Medical Group at the Stockton Golf and Country Club in Stockton, CA, November 6, 2013.
- Speaker for a webinar presentation entitled “Why ‘Never Events’ Still Happen” for California Healthcare Risk Management on October 10, 2013.
- Speaker for a presentation entitled “Part III: Anatomy of a Lawsuit: Dissection of Professional Liability Claims in Anesthesia” to CASE Anesthesia Group at the Zinfandel Grillin Sacramento, CA, on September 19, 2013.
- Appearance in the Medical Professional Liability News ReSource ReCaps in an article entitled “Physician Preparedness Essential in Winning Malpractice Cases” which featured a recent case in which Dominique obtained a defense verdict for her client. A video released by The Doctors Company showcases that trial and discusses how, with the support of his insurer, attorney and claims specialist, the physician prevailed. You can view the video here.
- Speaker for presentation entitled “The Time is Now: Ethics and Civility in Medical Malpractice Litigation,” given at the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, on April 25, 2013.
- Speaker for presentation entitled “The EHR: Improving Patient Safety and Reducing Risk” given at the CSAC Excess Insurance Authority Annual Medical Malpractice Conference, Hilton Hotel, Sacramento, CA, on April 24, 2013.
- Speaker for a presentation entitled “Professional Liability in Anesthesiology Practice,” given at the UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA, February 11, 2013.
- Co-speaker for a talk entitled “The EHR: Trials & Tribulations – Strategies for Avoiding Legal and Patient Safety Risks,” given at the 52nd Annual Convention of the Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons of California, San Diego, CA, February 9, 2013.
- Co-speaker for a talk entitled “Ounce of Prevention: Hospitalist Risk Reduction and Quality Improvement Strategies,” Sacramento, CA, November 2, 2012 and Ripon, California, January 29, 2013.
- Co-speaker for a talk entitled “The EHR: Trials and Tribulations - Strategies for Avoiding Legal and Patient Safety Risks.” The Doubletree in Modesto, CA, March 29, 2012, and the Stockton Country Club, Stockton, CA, April 5, 2012.
- Nursing on the Front Lines: From the Floor to the Courtroom. Carson Tahoe Regional Hospital, Carson City, NV, November 9, 2011.
- Anatomy of a Lawsuit: Dissection of Professional Liability Claims in Anesthesia. Sacramento Area Anesthesiologists, Sacramento, CA, November 2011.
- Labor and Litigation: An 11 Out of 10 on a Pain Scale. UC Davis Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Sacramento, CA, December 1, 2010.
- Medical Legal Issues in Mental Health Care. Sacramento County Mental Health. Sacramento, CA, November 10, 2010.
- The Electronic Medical Record in the Emergency Department. MedAmerica Mutual Risk Retention Group. Nevada City, CA November 3, 2010.
- An Ounce of Prevention: Improving Quality and Reducing Risk with an EMR. Sutter Independent Physicians IMR User Group Conference. Sacramento, CA, October 28, 2010.
- Clinical Forum. American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA, October 17, 2010.
- Learning From Lawsuits: Strategies and Resources for Reducing Risk. Placer- Nevada Medical Society. Roseville, CA, October 13, 2010.
- Learning From Lawsuits: Strategies and Resources for Reducing Risk. Yuba Sutter Colusa Medical Society. Yuba City CA, October 12, 2010.
- Medical - Legal Aspects of Treating Suicidal Patients. UC Davis Department of Psychiatry. September 1, 2010.
- See Dominque’s full resume for all presentations
- Horseback riding
- Fly fishing